Saturday, December 20, 2008

Out behind the barn

Nope! My education wasn't from out behind the barn. Perhaps not far from it but a long ways from the education system of today. I'm not sure if that's for the better or worse. My education was based on the teachings from a small town, Nova Scotia, Roman Catholic parochial school.


While the nuns where strict disciplinarians, they were also avid teachers. Their lives being devoted to teaching rather than acquisition of wealth. Perhaps that's why so many of their teachings are still valid today. Almost daily I am reminded of some classroom discussions pertaining to events from today. As my education took place from mid 1940s to the later part of 1950s this is rather amazing, or at least it is to me. Things like the internal combustion engine being the single largest contributing factor in the destruction of the ozone layer. That there were companies back then that were striving to perfect the advent of the ultimate electric car. They advocated the use of wind energy as well as solar. I am sure that the nuns in small town Nova Scotia didn't invent this stuff.They must have garnered these bits of intelligence from forces supposedly in the know. So I have to ask myself, why is it, more than 50 years later, that we are still facing the same problems? Could it be that the nuns were forward thinking while our politicians are always covering the other end. Why have we allowed ourselves to become slaves to the oil industry when it was predicted by those same nuns half a century ago that the oil industry was corroding not only our atmosphere but also the minds of the people who had the ability to change it.

No comments: